Our first overnighter, and the parking restriction is in effect.
I managed to get the Bike Trailer to work .. but there was a few major problems ..
* the front is slanted and not much room for the dogs .. (I ended up removing that sling where the baby straps on)
* There are some broken or missing pieces where the flaps go and velcro is (I ended up using a lock to hold two pieces together)
* I’m not sure about how it attached to the bike! (It attaches – but, there is no safety attachment – there was – but, it was broken off or eaten off?)
* There is a hole at the front of the chariot/trailer .. and the dogs could escape and tried to escape at first. That is trainable situation and the dogs got used to that over a couple hours of biking!
* There is a hole at the front fo the chariot/trailer .. and sand from the wheel and gravel roads was shooting inside at the dogs! It would have been fine, had they not try to rearrange the blanket we placed in there to stop them from trying to escape.
It needs work and parts. I have to come up with something by the long weekend – maybe with Velcro. All I can think of is something like a car’s front grill cover that covers the Rad so there is heat .. or a surgeon’s mask with stretchy things or velcro attachments on each corner that covers the hole and attaches or ties together in the back.
I’m tempted to buy a new trailer .. they sell these “dog carrier” type of trailers at a local bike shop for around $300 plus taxes .. I already paid $90 for the crappy one we have – but, I’m not giving up on it yet. Here’s what a professionally built dog trailer should look like… I can get a new “chariot” type of kids trailer that might be better for the dogs for about $250 that folds up .. or $400 that is new. Regardless of what I do … I am now a permanent victim of the “I told You So” saying. (thinking I was crazy for getting a trailer to haul the dogs!)
I mean – I want to go bike riding while Yvonne jogs 6-12 KM every day .. but I can’t. The dogs bark like crazy left alone in the cottage, and give up because they get too tired or distracted walking or running along side us.
PS: Went Swimming for first time this year…. Refreshing! I need to work on my tan, lose a few pounds etc etc.. But, I tried that floating chair on styrofoam .. it’s A-O-K!